Villagers foil attempt to dump mud on cultivable field in Saligao

Raise concerns over encroachment and conversion of agricultural land

The Goan Network | 3 hours ago
Villagers foil attempt to dump mud on cultivable field in Saligao

COMMUNITY VIGILANCE: Residents of Saligao gather at the cultivable field in Khotla ward after an alleged attempt by unidentified persons to dump truckloads of mud at the site, prompting strong opposition from villagers.

MAPUSA

Residents of Saligao on Wednesday came together to stop an alleged attempt by unidentified persons to illegally dump mud into a cultivable field in Khotla ward, once again raising concerns over encroachment and the loss of agricultural land in the village.

The incident came to light in the afternoon when a truck carrying mud entered the field, reportedly at a time when many villagers were indoors resting. Local cultivator Deodita Perpetua D’Souza noticed the activity, rushed to the spot and confronted the truck driver.

According to villagers, three to four truckloads of mud had reached the field. However, after D’Souza raised an alarm and questioned those involved, the remaining truck drivers allegedly fled the area.

Residents also claimed that a vehicle carrying coconut saplings had arrived at the site but was taken away after villagers gathered there.

The field belongs to Mumbai-based Kenneth Vincent Fernandes and has reportedly been entrusted to D’Souza for cultivation.

Villagers said she has been cultivating the land for the last six to seven years under an affidavit executed in her favour.

Following the incident, D’Souza informed local residents and later spoke to the media, expressing concern over what she described as an attempt to change the nature of the agricultural land.

Sources said the issue had earlier been verbally reported to the flying squad at the Deputy Collector’s office in Mapusa. A written complaint is expected to be submitted to the Deputy Collector’s office and the local panchayat on Thursday.

Local resident and social activist Pradeep Padgaonkar claimed this was not the first such incident in the area.

“Some months ago, a similar attempt was made in a nearby field, but villagers strongly opposed it and those involved had to withdraw. We suspect it may be the same person trying again,” Padgaonkar said.

He further alleged that a person owning nearby land without proper access could be trying to create an approach road by illegally filling the agricultural field.

Another villager said the land is notified agricultural property and warned that residents would oppose any illegal construction or changes to the land.

“All villagers are united. We will not allow any illegal activity or destruction of agricultural land in our village,” the resident said.

The incident once again highlights growing opposition across Goa to alleged illegal land filling, encroachments and attempts to convert agricultural land for non-agricultural use.

Share this