‘Enough is Enough’ to hold public meeting on Goa Statehood Day

THE GOAN NETWORK | 4 hours ago
‘Enough is Enough’ to hold public meeting on Goa Statehood Day

PANAJI: The Enough is Enough Movement will hold a public meeting at Azad Maidan at 3.30 pm on May 30, Goa Statehood Day, to press for a series of demands linked to land protection, environmental conservation, and governance issues in Goa.

Addressing a press conference today after a meeting of the movement’s enlarged committee attended by representatives from all seven talukas, retired Justice Ferdino Rebello said the event would focus on a 10-point charter of demands and called on all political party presidents to support the movement.

“We have invited all political parties to stand with us, just as several leaders participated in our earlier meeting. This is a collective fight for Goa,” Rebello said.

Among the key demands raised by the movement is the immediate reconvening of the Goa Assembly to discuss and pass Bills introduced by Opposition MLAs for land protection.

The group also demanded the repeal of Section 39 and changes made during 2022 and 2023 to laws concerning land revenue and protection of agricultural land.

Rebello accused the government of permitting large-scale environmental destruction through hill cutting, filling of fields, and alteration of natural landscapes.

“Our fight is against corruption and against the destruction of Goa’s hills, fields, and natural cover. We do not want Goa’s environment to be destroyed in the name of development,” he said.

The movement also alleged that activists associated with the campaign were facing intimidation and harassment.

Referring to activist Sameer Govekar, Rebello claimed that shortly after a public meeting in Mapusa, Govekar’s restaurant was served with an FDA warrant.

He also alleged that organisers of another meeting in Keri faced disruptions after authorities allegedly switched off lights, objected to loudspeaker permissions, and threatened action against private property owners hosting the gathering.

“We are not organising buses or lunches. People are coming on their own because they want a different model of development that protects Goa,” Rebello said.

The speakers further alleged that false complaints had been filed against committee members, including activists Swapnesh Sherlekar and Sameer Govekar, by BJP and ABVP workers.

“We went to the Bicholim police station to tell the Chief Minister, who is also the Home Minister, that we will not tolerate intimidation,” Rebello said.

The movement also raised concerns over land conversions and Town and Country Planning decisions, alleging that “No Development Zones” were being altered and topography changed for projects.

“We challenge Minister Vishwajit Rane to explain why illegal structures linked to his own workers are not being acted against if they lack permissions,” Rebello said.

The movement further stressed the need to preserve Goa’s cultural and regional identity.

“This is our Konkani land. Whether we speak Konkani, Marathi, or English, we will not allow ourselves to become outsiders in our own state,” Rebello said, invoking the legacy of Opinion Poll leader Jack Sequeira and Goa’s freedom movement.

Calling the agitation a “people’s movement” rather than a political programme, the organisers appealed to citizens to attend the gathering at Azad Maidan.

“This is not a stage-managed programme. It is a genuine fight for Goa and for future generations,” Rebello said.

Share this