MP seeks probe into ‘unscientific’ excavation; MLA blames contractor for delays

Mormugao MLA Sankalp Amonkar interacts with South Goa Collector Egna Cleetus at the site of the landslide along the Harbour road at Sada-Vasco.
VASCO
South Goa Collector Egna Cleetus on Monday directed officials to complete the retaining wall work within a fixed timeframe after a labourer died and two others were injured in a landslide at an ongoing construction site along Harbour Road at Sada-Vasco.
The incident sparked strong reactions from political leaders and authorities over the execution of the project.
South Goa Collector Egna Cleetus, South Goa MP Captain Viriato Fernandes and Mormugao MLA Sankalp Amonkar visited the site soon after the incident. Rescue operations were carried out by fire personnel and police teams.
Collector Egna Cleetus said the retaining wall work was being carried out by NH PWD along a nearly 2-km stretch identified as prone to landslides. She said excavation work had been completed about eight days ago, but the remaining steel and railing work was delayed due to rain.
“Today, when the labourers entered the site to carry out steel and railing work, the soil gave way because of yesterday’s rain and they got trapped under the debris. One worker sadly lost his life, while the others suffered minor injuries,” said Cleetus.
She said directions had been given to the PWD to complete the remaining work before the monsoon becomes more severe.
“We have also instructed the department to immediately install steel railings and take safety measures along the entire stretch within the next day or two to prevent further accidents,” she added.
MP SEEKS DETAILED INQUIRY
South Goa MP Captain Viriato Fernandes demanded a detailed inquiry into the incident and alleged that the excavation had been carried out in an “unscientific manner”.
“If we study the soil, it appears highly porous and needs strict precautions during excavation. The hill cutting should have been done in steps, but instead it was cut directly to save time and money. That is the main reason for the landslide,” Fernandes said.
He also claimed that large-scale tree cutting in the area may have weakened the slope.
“Tree roots help hold the soil together. We can see uprooted trees around the site, which shows the hill has already become unstable. There should be a proper inquiry to check whether all permissions were taken and safety rules were followed,” he added.
MLA BLAMES CONTRACTOR
Mormugao MLA Sankalp Amonkar said he had repeatedly warned the contractor and PWD officials about the risk of a landslide before the monsoon.
“I had been following this work continuously for the last six months and even held meetings with Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and PWD Minister Digambar Kamat,” said Amonkar.
He said he had carried out at least five inspections of the vulnerable stretch along with PWD officials and the contractor. He also brought Chief Minister Pramod Sawant to the site when authorities had initially proposed cutting nearly 500 trees for the project.
“After discussions, permission was given to cut only around 35 trees. During a joint inspection on May 6, I clearly warned the contractor and officials that a landslide was likely once the rains started. They assured us that the retaining wall and protection work would be completed before the monsoon. Unfortunately, the first heavy rain has now claimed a life,” Amonkar said.
He directly blamed the contractor for negligence and delays.
“The contractor was rarely present at the site and the work moved very slowly for nearly a year. Despite repeated inspections and warnings, the excavation was done carelessly. If immediate steps are not taken, there is a serious risk of more landslides during the monsoon,” he said.
Amonkar added that the road project was being developed to improve access to the new cruise terminal and stressed the need for urgent safety measures to protect commuters and nearby residents.