Parab alleges conspiracy, greed and attempts to capture control of party; move likely to reshape party equations

An emotional Manoj Parab is consoled by party members after resigning from the RGP on Thursday.
MAPUSA
In a dramatic political development that could significantly alter Goa’s regional political landscape ahead of future elections, Revolutionary Goans Party (RGP) founder and president Manoj Parab on Thursday resigned from the top post and also quit the party altogether, bringing to the surface an intense internal battle that has been simmering within the youngest regional force in Goa.
Parab’s sudden exit, announced during an emotional news conference in Panaji, marks the most serious crisis faced by the party since its emergence as a powerful regional movement in 2017.
The resignation comes after days of escalating tensions between supporters of lone RGP MLA Viresh Borkar and a faction loyal to Parab, exposing deep divisions within the organisation over leadership, control and the party’s future direction.
Flanked by trusted office-bearers Ajay Kholkar and General Secretary Vishwas Naik, a visibly emotional Parab said he was stepping down after accepting responsibility for his inability to hold the organisation together during a period of growing internal conflict.
“This revolution had started in 2017 in its purest form. Today, I may have resigned from my responsibilities, but the party will continue to function,” Parab said, while announcing his withdrawal from active politics.
However, his departure is expected to trigger major political consequences within the RGP, a party that had positioned itself as an alternative to both national parties and traditional regional formations in Goa.
Political observers believe the resignation could lead to a complete restructuring of the organisation, intensify factional battles, and potentially redefine the role of MLA Viresh Borkar within the party.
Internal revolt and battle for control
Parab openly admitted that the party had been gripped by internal politics driven by “greed” and personal ambitions, alleging that attempts were being made from within to capture control of the organisation and even split the party.
“Individual politics came inside. There were talks going on to take over the party, even to go to court to take over the party. The most hurting part was the conspiracy to break the party from our own revolutionaries,” he said.
Without directly naming individuals, Parab strongly hinted at organised attempts by certain leaders to undermine the central leadership.
His remarks come in the backdrop of growing friction between supporters of MLA Viresh Borkar and Parab loyalists, with differences increasingly spilling into the public domain over the last several weeks.
The immediate trigger appeared to be a recent press conference allegedly organised by some block-level leaders without consulting the party leadership, a move Parab described as an act of indiscipline aimed at creating divisions within the organisation.
Resignation accepted; party says will continue journey
MAPUSA: In a significant late-evening development following the dramatic resignation of Revolutionary Goans Party (RGP) founder Manoj Parab, the party officially announced that it has accepted his resignation as president and member, while asserting that the organisation will continue its political journey without further resignations.
Addressing a press conference after a meeting of the party’s core committee and office bearers, RGP Treasurer Ajay Kholkar said the leadership had unanimously decided to accept Parab’s resignation and respect his decision to step away from active politics.
“We had a meeting this evening where the core committee members and office bearers decided that the party is accepting Manoj’s resignation letter and we respect his decision,” Kholkar said.
The press conference was attended by General Secretary Vishwesh Naik, Vice Presidents Anish Naik and Seby Fernandes, North Goa District President Gauresh Mandrekar, along with other executive members of the party.
Kholkar clarified that some leaders were absent because the meeting and media briefing had been convened at short notice. He also revealed that repeated attempts were made to contact St Andre MLA Viresh Borkar regarding the meeting.
“We tried to call him, messages were sent and even an email was sent informing him about the meeting, but there was no response,” Kholkar said.
The statement assumes political significance amid the growing internal rift within the regional party and speculation over differences between factions loyal to Parab and supporters of Borkar.
Rejecting rumours circulating after Parab’s emotional morning press conference, Kholkar insisted that the resignation was genuine and not a political stunt.
“There were rumours that this was a drama or prank. The resignation was not a drama. From today, Manoj is neither the president nor a member of the party. He has resigned and we have accepted his resignation,” he said.
Kholkar further disclosed that Parab’s decision had not been sudden and that he had been considering stepping down for nearly two months due to ongoing internal developments within the organisation.
“The political party will continue. None of us will resign. We are ready to take this party forward,” Kholkar asserted, signalling the leadership’s attempt to project unity and stability despite the unprecedented crisis.
Parab’s exit marks the biggest organisational setback for the RGP since its formation in 2017 as a regional movement advocating Goan identity and political reform.