Wednesday 20 May 2026

Margao’s ageing buildings under fresh scrutiny amid monsoon safety fears

Joint inspection team begins checks of 21 unsafe structures in city

THE GOAN NETWORK | 3 hours ago
Margao’s ageing buildings under fresh scrutiny amid monsoon safety fears

A team of officials inspects old and dilapidated buildings in Margao.

MARGAO
After months of growing concern over the safety of ageing structures in the commercial capital, district authorities have finally begun ground inspections of old and dilapidated buildings, particularly the 21 structures identified as unsafe by the Margao Municipal Council (MMC) nearly a year ago.
The move comes in the wake of incidents during last year’s monsoon, when portions of two buildings — one near Pimpalkatta and another near Cine Lata — partially collapsed, triggering panic among residents and damaging vehicles parked below.
Sources informed The Goan that directions have now been issued to the Public Works Department (PWD) to demolish the dangerous portions of the two structures that had suffered partial collapses during the previous monsoon season.
A joint inspection team comprising Margao Deputy Collector Ganesh Barve, officials from the Salcete Mamlatdar’s office, the Margao Municipal Council, and the PWD on Tuesday inspected eight of the 21 buildings earlier declared weak and unsafe.
The inspection focused on assessing the present condition of the structures and reviewing the status of structural stability reports. Officials sought to verify whether building owners had applied for mandatory structural audits and whether the Goa College of Engineering had conducted the required tests.
Deputy Collector Ganesh Barve said another round of inspections would soon be undertaken to cover the remaining buildings before a detailed report is submitted to the District Collector, who also serves as the Chairperson of the District Disaster Management Authority.
“The inspections are aimed at evaluating the present risk posed by these buildings and determining the next course of action,” Barve said.
Authorities have already cordoned off the road beneath the building near Pimpalkatta after a projecting concrete sajja collapsed last year, damaging a couple of vehicles parked below. The incident had sparked widespread concern over pedestrian and commuter safety in the busy commercial area.
However, the latest exercise has also raised uncomfortable questions. Citizens and local observers are asking why no additional buildings have been added to the unsafe list over the past year despite the visible deterioration of several ageing structures across Margao.
Critics argue that limiting inspections to the original 21 buildings may not reflect the current reality on the ground, especially after another intense monsoon season. Concerns are mounting over whether several old commercial and residential buildings scattered across the town continue to remain structurally sound.
With the monsoon season fast approaching once again, residents are demanding urgent and proactive action from civic and district authorities to prevent a repeat of last year’s incidents and avert a possible tragedy in the heart of the city.


Share this