Storm brewing along Salcete coast over govt’s plans to demarcate more zones for water sports

Fishermen fear move will only spell doom for traditional fishing activities; sound word of caution, to oppose demarcation decision tooth and nail

THE GOAN NETWORK | 05th April 2024, 12:54 am
Storm brewing along Salcete coast over govt’s plans to demarcate more zones for water sports

MARGAO
A storm is brewing along Salcete coast over government’s planned move to demarcate additional zones for water sports activities over and above the existing spots along the coast.

In fact, traditional fishermen inhabiting the coast and on the banks of river Sal see red as they oppose government’s planned moves to earmark additional water sports zones, fearing that the move will only spell doom for the traditional fishing activities along the coast.

For the moment, and with just a month to go for the May 7 Lok Sabha elections, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant is believed to have tried to calm down the storm by assuring the fishermen that the Tourism Department and the Captain of Ports will not go ahead with the demarcation exercise.

Fishermen, however, have sounded a word of caution they will remain alert to foil any attempts by the Tourism Department or the Captain of Ports to demarcate additional water sports zones, insisting the additional zones is a clear attempt by the government to expand water sports along the coast at the cost of traditional fishing activities.

The Niz Ramponkarancho Ekvott has taken up the issue with the Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and Captain of Ports by submitting a memorandum opposing the demarcation of additional beach areas to promote water sports activities.

The traditional fishermen inhabiting the banks of river Sal along the riverine village of Velim at Bapsora-Betul have also handed over a memorandum to the Chief Minister during his visit to Bapsora-Velim earlier this week, firmly opposing any plans to introduce water sports activities in the river Sal.

The Niz Ramponkarancho Ekvott, an organisation of the traditional fishermen, comprising of the  traditional Ramponkars, Magkars, Cantalkars have told the Chief Minister that any attempt to bulldoze with the planned move to increase water sports activities along the coast will be firmly resisted by the traditional fishermen.

Benaulim-based traditional fisherman, Pele Fernandes said Salcete coast presently plays host to water sports, right from Cavelossim, Benaulim and Colva and any attempt to increase the activity will not only congest the beach, but will affect their traditional fishing activities. “How the traditional fishermen are supposed to cast their fishing nets in the sea when additional areas along the coast are brought under water sports activities,” Pele wondered.

The demarcation of the Salcete beach stretch from Cavelossim, Varca and Benaulim was fixed a couple of days ago. When the team of officials of the Tourism Department, Fisheries, Captain of Ports descended on the Benaulim beach, the local fishermen raised a banner of protest after they were not kept in the loop by the agencies.

Fearing that the demarcation for water sports activities will spell doom for the traditional fishing activities, the fishermen under the banner of Niz Ramponkarancho Ekvott at an emergency meeting resolved to firmly oppose the demarcation for additional area for water sports activities tooth and nail.

A delegation of the fishermen called on the Chief Minister not only with a plea to oppose additional water sports zones, but also to convey their opposition to the proposed floating jetty. “Chief Minister Pramod Sawant has promised us to solve our issues on priority. During our discussions, the Chief Minister wondered on the need for additional water sports zones and assured that nothing would be done to harm the interests of the traditional fishermen,” Pele said.

Share this