WEDNESDAY, 19 AUGUST 2026
Ticker

Child begging: HC questions lack of follow-up in Maha after repatriation

Dharashiv collector, SP and CWC asked to furnish records

PANAJI
Children rescued from begging on Goa’s streets and signals, and repatriated to Maharashtra, may be slipping out of the system once they return home. 
The High Court of Bombay at Goa has raised this concern after noting repeated cases of children from Dharashiv (Osmanabad) being brought to Goa for begging and questioning whether authorities in the neighbouring State follow up on them after repatriation.
The court, while hearing Public Interest Litigation on child begging filed by Advocate Moses Pinto on Tuesday, issued notice to the Department of Women and Child Development (Maharashtra) through its secretary and sought records from the Dharashiv collector, superintendent of police (SP) and Child Welfare Committee (CWC) over movement of children from the district to Goa for begging.
The division bench of Justice Valmiki Menezes and Justice Amit Jamsandekar also called for a coordinated response from both States.
“We have taken note of the fact that this phenomenon is prevalent in Goa and may be due to the cross-border movement of children who are put to begging within the State of Goa,” the bench observed.
“In view of the situation involving two States, we deem it appropriate to implead the WCD, Government of Maharashtra, as respondent No. 11... The affidavit shall cover the records of the past two years... We clarify that the identity of the children and any other sensitive details in this regard shall be furnished separately in a sealed cover,” it added.
While allowing the concerned authorities to attend the proceedings through video conferencing, with the matter now adjourned to September 1, the Bench also urged the Advocate General of Maharashtra to attend the hearing online.
“We do not wish to create any jurisdictional issues... Our objective is to ensure the matter proceeds smoothly and that the Government of Goa is able to work with the Government of Maharashtra without unnecessary intervention by this Court,” it ordered.
The court further observed that the begging menace appeared to be more prevalent during the tourist season in Goa, between November and April.
Referring to its earlier orders of June 23, 24 and 30, the Bench said several instances had been placed on record wherein children forced into begging are placed in child care institutions under the Juvenile Justice Act and subsequently repatriated to Dharashiv.
The court had earlier impleaded the Dharashiv CWC and sought a follow-up report under the JJA. However, after examining the material placed before it, the bench expressed disappointment over the apparent lack of follow-up by the district CWC and Maharashtra authorities, including the collector and SP.
The bench also slammed that while large sums of money are being spent on schemes, questions arise why such resources cannot be directed towards addressing this serious issue.
Amidst the hearing, the High Court appointed amicus curiae given the complexities requiring a coordinated response from authorities in Goa and Maharashtra.
“There is a need for a complete revamp and a clear understanding of the role of each of the concerned departments and authorities in both States,” the bench said.
The bench further expressed concern over indications regarding the presence of a large number of paedophiles in the beach belt.
“We will slightly expand the scope of this petition. Details emerging from certain research are shocking. We are concerned about the numbers,” the bench said, directing the authorities to take note of the issue and place their findings before the court.

Bombay HC at Goa Child begging Maharashtra follow-up
SHARE ON

FCRA Bill: Church body flags ‘asset takeover’ concerns

Says proposed law could hit schools, hospitals and charitable institutions

The Goan Network
Published Aug 19, 2026, 12:47 AM IST
SHARE ON
FCRA Bill: Church body flags ‘asset takeover’ concerns

MARGAOThe Church body, the Council for Social Justice and Peace (CSJP) has said the proposed Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2026 raises grave concerns for Goa as there is a risk of asset takeover of minority institutions.A glance at the representation submitted to the Congress President M Kharge by CSJP Secretary Fr Savio Fernandes and Catholic Association of Goa president Cyril Fernandes shows that the Bill could affect historic educational trusts,…

READ MORE

Keep Reading — More from GOA NEWS

1 more related stories queued · tap to continue reading

Home HOME News GOA NEWS Global GLOBAL GOENKAR Search SEARCH