SUNDAY, 23 AUGUST 2026
Ticker

Is yearly Rs 80,000 budget enough for cleanliness at Cutbona fishing jetty?

Funds sanctioned based on estimates prepared by local body

Is yearly Rs 80,000 budget enough for cleanliness at Cutbona fishing jetty?
Cutbona fishing jetty.

MARGAO


Can Rs 80,000 per annum adequately cover garbage management and cleanliness at Cutbona fishing jetty, the state’s largest fishing jetty? Or does the jetty fall under the Bulk Waste Generator category, making the Fisheries Department responsible for managing and disposing of the waste generated there?

These questions came to the fore during a meeting on vector-borne diseases held at the South Goa District Collectorate, where health and fisheries officials discussed sanitation and waste management at the busy Cutbona fishing jetty.

During the meeting, it was reported that the Fisheries Department had sanctioned Rs 80,000 towards garbage management and cleanliness at the jetty. The amount, sources said, is expected to be utilised to engage a maintenance agency, which will be appointed by the local village panchayat.

Sources further said the funds had been sanctioned by the government based on estimates prepared by the local body.

However, consumer rights activist Roland Martins questioned whether the sanctioned amount was adequate to meet the actual requirements of the jetty, which accommodates more than 200 fishing vessels and is frequented by over 3,000 migrant workers during the fishing season.

Martins sought clarity from the health and fisheries authorities on whether the Rs 80,000 allocation had been arrived at after assessing the actual volume of waste generated at the jetty and the manpower and infrastructure required to keep the premises clean.

He also questioned when the estimates were prepared and whether the authorities had taken into consideration the ground realities at the jetty, particularly the large number of workers who reside and work there during the fishing season.

“The question is whether Rs 80,000 is sufficient for the garbage generated and the cleanliness requirements of such a large fishing jetty. We need to know when the estimates were prepared and whether they reflect the present ground situation, considering that the jetty is home to more than 3,000 migrant workers,” Martins said.


SHARE ON

Chess panel’s 4-year term from 2023, not 2021: HC

The Goan Network
Published Aug 19, 2026, 11:44 PM IST
SHARE ON

PANAJIThe High Court of Bombay at Goa has struck down the decision to curtail the tenure of the Goa Chess Association’s Executive Committee, ruling that its four-year term began only when the panel took charge in July 2023.The Court, while allowing the writ petition filed by the association against the District Registrar and Inspector General of Societies (South Goa), and another, found that there was no material to show that the 2021 committee had assumed charge. The Bench…

READ MORE

Keep Reading — More from GOA NEWS

1 more related stories queued · tap to continue reading

Home HOME News GOA NEWS Global GLOBAL GOENKAR Search SEARCH