PANAJI
CM Pramod Sawant on Wednesday said the government would not grant permission for any new offshore casinos, maintaining that no fresh licences had been issued beyond six vessels anchored in Mandovi river.
Speaking to the media, Sawant said the government had neither granted permission nor issued a licence to any new offshore casino and would not do so in future.
His statement came a day after MV Royale Flotel told the HC that the government had renewed its licence to operate in the Mandovi River. The submission was made during the hearing of a petition by Enough is Enough and others challenging vessel’s entry and operation.
The company placed the renewed licence on record before the court. The case concerns the replacement of an earlier offshore casino vessel. On May 6, the High Court observed that the new vessel did not have the mandatory certificate of survey. The Bench ruled that it could not sail in the Mandovi River without all required certificates and permissions and prior court approval.
