PANAJI
Panaji’s pay-parking contract has run into controversy after wardens allegedly continued collecting fees beyond the contract's expiry date of August 14, and Opposition councillor Leonid Furtado has claimed an extension was granted without fresh tenders or bidding, raising questions over its legality and transparency.
Official sources in the Corporation of the City of Panaji (CCP) said the extension was based on a resolution passed in December 2025. But with a new council taking charge in March this year, the decision has come under scrutiny.
Furtado, in a statement, said he personally witnessed wardens collecting fees on August 17, despite the CCP’s commencement letter clearly stating the contract period as August 15, 2023 to August 14, 2026.
He termed the collection “illegal and unauthorised” and questioned whether any fresh notification or authorisation had been issued.
According to him, the last council meeting was held on May 19, and no meeting has taken place since. He pointed out that under the applicable Act, a council meeting is required every month.
Furtado asked whether the continuation of pay-parking operations after August 14 was ever placed before and approved by the council, arguing that the Corporation knew well in advance that the three-year contract was due to expire and should have floated a fresh tender inviting bids.
“The date when the contract was to expire was known. Necessary steps should have been taken to ensure continuation was backed by a valid process,” he said.
Commissioner refutes
PANAJI: CCP Commissioner Clen Madeira has refuted the allegation that the extension of the pay-parking contract has no backing of the council.
Madeira told The Goan that in December last year, the council had resolved to grant the contractor an extension of five months and eight days for Phase I and an 11-month extension for Phase II.
These extensions were granted in lieu of the contractor, Sohan Zuwarkar's demand for covering his losses due to the two Covid-19 lockdowns (approximately 156 days) and also the suspension of pay-parking during the execution of smart city works.
Madeira said the contractor had paid the requisite instalments of the licence fees during the two lockdowns and also when pay-parking was suspended for the smart city work.
