Locals oppose mobile tower near Saligao govt school

P'yat backs villagers, retains objection

THE GOAN NETWORK | 3 hours ago
Locals oppose mobile tower   near Saligao govt school

TOWER TUSSLE: The pit dug by the telecom company last month for the proposed mobile tower, later filled up by the Saligao panchayat following local opposition.

MAPUSA

Residents of Saligao have strongly opposed the proposed installation of a mobile tower near the Saligao government school, prompting the village panchayat to stand firmly with the villagers and retain its earlier objection to the project.

A Special gram sabha was convened on Sunday at the Village Panchayat Saligao to deliberate on the proposal.

The panchayat had previously filed an objection against the erection of the tower, and the meeting was called following a memorandum submitted by the telecom company requesting the local body to revoke its objection.

The company reportedly stated that panchayat approval was not mandatory for setting up the tower.

However, villagers attending the gram sabha voiced unanimous opposition to the project.

Local resident Liberata Madeira said the installation of a mobile tower in close proximity to residential houses and a government school could pose potential health risks to the community.

“A mobile tower in such close vicinity to homes and the school could adversely affect the health of local residents. The panchayat is the local governing body meant to take up people’s causes and uphold the wishes of the people,” she said.

Former president of the Saligao Comunidade, Desmond D’Costa, also expressed strong objections to the proposal, supporting the concerns raised by residents.

Madeira further pointed out that the village was already grappling with the impact of a garbage treatment plant imposed in the area.

“Residents are already suffering due to the garbage treatment plant. Adding a mobile tower would further burden the community,” she said.

Taking note of the sentiments expressed at the Gram Sabha, Saligao Sarpanch Lucas Remedios assured villagers that the panchayat would not withdraw its objection to the project.

He said the panchayat would stand by the people and reject the telecom company’s request to revoke its earlier opposition.

Remedios also informed that the panchayat would write to the comunidade, urging it to withdraw the No Objection Certificate (NOC) reportedly granted to the telecom company for setting up the tower.

With the panchayat backing the residents, the proposed mobile tower project now faces stiff resistance at the village level.


 

Share this