Panaji erupts over cries to save land, protest swells

THE GOAN NETWORK | 3 hours ago
Panaji erupts over cries to   save land, protest swells

A section of the crowd at the protest meeting at Azad Maidan, Panaji on Sunday.

PANAJI

The protest against Section 39A of the Town and Country Planning Act escalated on Sunday, with protesters and Opposition MLAs from across the State joining the villagers of Siridao-Palem and St Andre MLA Viresh Borkar at the iconic Azad Maidan in Panaji to demand repeal of the controversial provision.

Section 39A permits land use zoning conversions, including farmland, private forests, and no development slopes and is currently being resorted to by the government to facilitate large-scale development for real estate. 

On Sunday, the agitation at Azad Maidan drew leaders from across the opposition spectrum. Congress legislative leader Yuri Alemao, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLA Venzy Viegas, Goa Forward Party (GFP) chief and MLA Vijay Sardesai, Revolutionary Goans Party chief Manoj Parab, and State Congress president Amit Patkar stood in support of the protest.

The meeting demanded repeal of Section 39A and suspension of the police officers and personnel who dragged RGP MLA Viresh Borkar out of the protest site at the TCP headquarters on Saturday. 

Borkar, who had launched a hunger strike since then, vowed to continue it until the government concedes the demands even as the administration stationed an ambulance at the Azad Maidan to monitor his condition and shift him to hospital in case of emergency.

Town and Country Planning Minister Vishwajit Rane reported claim that he could mobilize 45,000 people from Sattari to Panaji added fuel to the protest fire. 

Opposition leaders hit back, pointing out that Goa’s population is 1.5 million. “Forty five thousand is just three percent. The minister should face the remaining 97 percent,” Congress' Patkar said.

Alemao warned that if the government fails to suspend the policemen and also repeal section 39A of the TCP Act, a “jail-bharo protest” will follow.

The agitation has also sparked a wider political debate. AAP's Viegas called for an opposition alliance in the 2027 elections to “save Goa.” 

He said parties unwilling to join would be persuaded if the necessity arises.

Sardesai took a cautious stance on the legality of Section 39A saying it is already before the courts. 

“The court will decide. But immediate action on the regional plan is needed,” he said.

The Siridao-Palem protest, meanwhile has lent greater momentum to the movement launched by multiple sections of the population and environmentalists to protect Goa's ecology and green landscape. 

What began as a local agitation confined to the conversions under section 39A in Siridao-Palem is now showing signs of shaping up into a State level protest to challenge the government’s planning policies.

With Borkar’s hunger strike continuing, Opposition leaders appear to be sharpening their attacks, and protesters are refusing to back down.

The standoff is also showing no sign of easing and the Pramod Sawant-led BJP government faces mounting pressure to respond, even as Azad Maidan remains the epicenter for now of Goa’s most intense land use protest in recent years.



Cumbharjua MLA’s

statement draws flak


An out-of-turn statement by Cumbharjua BJP MLA, Rajesh Phaldesai, to the effect that Section 39A of the TCP Act will never be cancelled and that he fully backs TCP Minister Vishwajit Rane drew flak from Opposition leaders.

RGP MLA, Viresh Borkar, who is on hunger strike, alleged that Phaldesai's statement exposes his self-interest. 

Leader of the Opposition, Yuri Alemao, also debunked the statement and took a potshot at the Cumbharjua MLA saying: "Phaldesai will not even exist as MLA after 2027 elections."


Protesters give call for
‘Maha 
Andolan’ today

 
Amid growing opposition to controversial land conversions, protesters have announced a large-scale agitation seeking policy change. Opposing the use of Section 39A of the TCP Act, activists have called for a ‘Maha Andolan’ demanding that the provision be scrapped. The protest is scheduled to be held at Azad Maidan on February 23 at 4 pm, with organisers aiming to mobilise between 4,000 and 5,000 participants.


Share this