TUESDAY, 18 AUGUST 2026
Ticker

Waterlogging puts Bastora’s cultivation plans on hold

WRD intervention sought for removal of blockage

Waterlogging puts Bastora’s cultivation plans on hold

MAPUSA


Persistent water accumulation in the upper reaches of the river at Xell-Bastora has emerged as a major concern for farmers, with villagers fearing that the obstruction of tidal flow could prevent cultivation in the area this year.

The issue came up at the ordinary Gram Sabha of Bastora panchayat on Sunday, where members unanimously resolved to approach the Water Resources Department (WRD) seeking immediate removal of the blockage and restoration of the river’s natural tidal movement.

Locals raised concern over fish vendors operating along roadsides in some wards of the village. Residents alleged that fish waste was being discarded in the vicinity, creating an unhygienic environment. The presence of mobile carts on drains and roadsides was also questioned.

Villagers also complained that roadside parking at several locations was creating bottlenecks and obstructing the movement of vehicles.

A local resident John Fernandes specifically questioned the panchayat over a fruit outlet on the Mapusa side, alleging that vehicles stopping there were worsening traffic congestion.

Sarpanch Rakhi Naroji said the panchayat had initiated action against the premises, including sealing an illegal structure. However, further action has been stalled following a stay granted by the Directorate of Panchayats (DOP).

Further, the panchayat secretary Smitha Parab disclosed that proceedings had been initiated for demolition of illegal roadside structures, but several cases remained pending either because of DOP stays or proceedings before the BDO.

Advocate John Abreu Lobo pointed out that a stay against demolition did not necessarily permit continued commercial activity from the disputed structures. A proposal to take up the issue of pending cases and stay orders with the Panchayat Minister was discussed.

Public transport was another major concern. Senior citizen Manuel Fernandes sought a mini KTCL shuttle service and more bus trips, particularly on Sundays when, he said, the village currently has no bus service.

Meanwhile, resident Ramesh Matkar alleged that a village road had sunk after a former Mapusa Municipal councillor transported a heavily loaded truck through it.

He argued that the person responsible should bear the repair cost rather than the public exchequer.

The sarpanch said the former councillor had already assured the panchayat that the road would be repaired.


SHARE ON

Six-storey 'Junta House' turns 60, but stares at demolition

Citizens want redevpt plan to address civic problems

The Goan Network
Published Aug 16, 2026, 11:33 PM IST
SHARE ON
Six-storey 'Junta House' turns 60, but stares at demolition

PANAJIJunta House, the six‑storey government building that has dominated Panaji’s skyline for six decades, marked its 60th anniversary on Independence Day but instead of celebration, the landmark is staring at demolition under a government plan to redevelop the site through NBCC (India) Ltd, a Union Navratna enterprise.Built in 1966 and inaugurated on Independence Day, Junta House was Goa’s first high‑rise. It housed key government offices and an astronomical observatory set…

READ MORE

Keep Reading — More from GOA NEWS

1 more related stories queued · tap to continue reading

Home HOME News GOA NEWS Global GLOBAL GOENKAR Search SEARCH