FRIDAY, 21 AUGUST 2026
Ticker

BJP hits back at Congress over ‘Chanda Chori Bhavan’ remark

CM says party built headquarters on its own as leaders slam Opposition’s allegations

PANAJI

The BJP has hit back at the Congress over its “Chanda Chori Bhavan” jibe at the party’s new headquarters, with Chief Minister Pramod Sawant rejecting allegations that casino-linked donations funded the building at Kadamba Plateau.

“We have built our office on our own,” Sawant said on Thursday, urging the Congress to stop making such remarks and focus on its own party and the country.

GPCC president Girish Chodankar had earlier demanded that the BJP disclose donations received from casinos for constructing the headquarters, accusing the ruling party of treating casinos as its ATM.

BJP State president Damu Naik dismissed the criticism, saying the building was a Karyakarta Bhavan built through contributions from party workers and MLAs. He accused the Congress of failing Goans during its years in power.

Health Minister Vishwajit Rane said the Congress’ statements should not be given importance.

Sawant said having its own office had been a long-standing dream of the BJP and credited party workers for making it possible. He said the building would serve the party for decades. The headquarters will be formally inaugurated by Union Home Minister Amit Shah on September 6.

Rajya Sabha MP Sadanand Shet Tanavade also credited party workers for the new office and recalled purchasing the land and laying its foundation stone while serving as BJP State president.

BJP leaders hoisted the party flag and unveiled the nameplate at the headquarters during religious rituals, attended by leaders of alliance partners.

Meanwhile, BJP leader Ritesh Naik said the party would decide whether the BJP or MGP contests Ponda in the 2027 Assembly elections. He was responding to Power Minister Sudin Dhavalikar’s claim that surveys showed the MGP leading there.


SHARE ON

Stilt highway push triggers uproar in Dandeavaddo as bypass hopes fade

Pile testing begins on NH66; residents say govt assurances have been ignored

The Goan Network
Published Aug 21, 2026, 12:53 AM IST
SHARE ON
Stilt highway push triggers uproar in Dandeavaddo as bypass hopes fade

MARGAOWhat was feared by the residents of Dandeavaddo-Chinchinim that the government would bulldoze with the highway expansion work on the NH66 has finally come true after heavy construction machinery was deployed in the area for pile testing, to pave the way for the construction of the four-lane highway on stilts.The development has come as a shock to residents, who have been waging a sustained campaign against the proposed elevated road and demanding that the government…

READ MORE

Keep Reading — More from GOA NEWS

1 more related stories queued · tap to continue reading

Home HOME News GOA NEWS Global GLOBAL GOENKAR Search SEARCH