MARGAO
Claiming that a Minister and politically influential persons are pressuring the Cuncolim Municipal Chief Officer to clear a file related to a fish meal plant, Cuncolim MLA and Leader of Opposition Yuri Alemao on Friday warned the government against pushing the project on Cuncolim residents.
Alemao alleged that the government was trying to grant permission to M/s Goan Marine Impex Pvt Ltd to establish a fish meal production plant despite the Cuncolim Municipal Council having rejected the proposal and opposition from locals.
“The Ministers and government are pressurising the CMC Chief Officer to clear the file. I condemn this dadagiri. The Council had earlier denied permission for this plant and we will not allow it,” Alemao said.
He warned that any attempt to clear the file by threatening officials would invite consequences, saying people would not remain silent.
In a letter to the TCP Minister, Alemao said the Urban Development/Department of Municipal Administration was considering an application for a construction licence from the company for a fish meal production plant at Survey Nos. 340/1 (part) and 339/0 (part), Cuncolim.
He pointed out that the municipal council had already rejected the application and that the decision had attained finality. He said it was inappropriate to reconsider the proposal, particularly in the absence of a duly elected municipal body.
Alemao urged the TCP Minister to intervene and direct concerned departments not to entertain any application from the company for the proposed plant at the said survey numbers in Cuncolim village, Salcete.
