PANAJI
Days after Karnataka Agriculture Minister N Chaluvaraya Swamy proposed a “brotherly solution” to the Mhadei river diversion dispute, renowned environmentalist and Mhadei Bachao Abhiyan Secretary Rajendra Kerkar on Wednesday accused the neighbouring State of destroying nearly 3.5 km of the Kalasa tributary’s basin near Kankumbi to facilitate diversion of water into the Malaprabha basin.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Kerkar also cautioned the Goa government over Karnataka’s reported plans to channel excess water from the Tillari river into Markandeya River basin to augment Rakaskop reservoir, a major drinking water source for Belagavi city. Kerkar questioned the feasibility of resolving the Mhadei dispute in a “friendly environment” while alleging that Karnataka continued with diversion works in an ecologically sensitive area.
“How can it be solved in a friendly environment when Karnataka has been executing this project since 2006 in an ecologically sensitive zone?” he asked.
Pointing out that despite Karnataka’s assurance to the Supreme Court that it would not divert or use Mhadei water until the final hearing, Kerkar alleged that nearly 3.5 km of the Kalasa tributary’s basin near Kankumbi had been “completely destroyed” to facilitate the diversion. According to Kerkar, trees were felled, concrete structures constructed and underground canals excavated in the reserve forest to channel water towards the Malaprabha basin.
He claimed that water which would naturally flow towards Goa was being diverted at Kankumbi into the Malaprabha basin and said local residents had witnessed the diversion. He further claimed that senior officials of the State water resources department had verified the situation and submitted a report to the State government. “This is the ground reality. Karnataka has successfully diverted the Mhadei’s Kalasa water,” Kerkar alleged, adding that the residents of Khanapur had attributed recurring flooding in the area to the diversion works.
Kerkar also criticised WRD Minister Subhash Shirodkar for allegedly stating that Karnataka had not succeeded in diverting or blocking Mhadei water. He termed the statement “completely incorrect”, alleging that it amounted to distorting facts and misleading the government and the people.
Raising concern over Karnataka’s reported plans to divert water from the Tillari basin, the environmentalist questioned whether WRD had examined the implications of these developments, including Karnataka’s alleged efforts to divert water from the Dhamne dam, some of which flows towards Goa.
“WRD must thoroughly study these developments. Only after that should the minister make statements, rather than distorting facts and misleading the public,” he said.
