The Church at Nachinola, Bardez, is dedicated to Bom Jesus; it is also known in Portuguese as Bom Jesus Igreja de Nachinola, Goa. The Feast of the church will be celebrated on January 1, and the main celebrant for the Feast Mass will be Auxiliary Bishop Simao Purifacao Fernandes.
THE HISTORY
According to Clemente de S. Iris, the Franciscan missionaries constructed the first church in Nachinola in 1676 on Comunidade land allotted for the purpose. The construction was funded by the Nachinola Comunidade; since the available funds were insufficient, the Superiors of the Franciscan Order extended financial support.
The church was blessed on July 26, 1676, by Frei Pedro da Purificação, the Superior of the Franciscan Order. The construction of the building was supervised by Frei Carlos de Conceição, the first parish priest.
In 1720, the Catholic population of the parish numbered about 615; now it is around 800, as per the information given in the Archdiocese of Goa and Daman Directory 2025“2026.
As many as 26 Franciscan priests served the parish, the last being Frei Manuel de Santa Clara (1766“1767). Thereafter, the administration of the church was taken over by the diocesan clergy.
The church cemetery was expanded and was blessed by the then Auxiliary Bishop Filipe Neri Ferrão on January 20, 1998.
THE CHURCH
On entering the church, an inscription on the left-side wall in Konkani reads:
“Hem Povitr Mondir Sthaplear Tin Xekdde Bollandle,” (This Blessed Church has completed three hundred years. 26th July, 1676 “ 1976: Tricentenary of the Church of Bom Jesus, Nachinola.)
The church has an architectural blend of Baroque and Renaissance styles, featuring a striking black façade that incorporates elements of the Roman, Ionic, Doric, Corinthian, and Composite orders. The façade has three bays and three storeys, with a prominent bracketed arch over the main entrance.
The frontispiece is adorned with elegant rococo curves, flanking a broken pediment that frames a relief of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Spear-shaped finials crown the frontispiece. It has a tower on each side of the façade, one of which houses the church bell.
THE ALTARS
The church has five altars, with the main altar dedicated to Bom Jesus. At the top of the main altar is a depiction of the Calvary scene, showing Jesus nailed to the Cross, with Mother Mary standing to his right and Saint John to his left. Below this scene, on the right, is the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and on the left, the Sacred Heart of Mary.
The side altars are dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary and St Sebastian, the latter being privileged by Decree No. 17 dated March 22, 1924. Beneath the statue of St Sebastian are the statues of St Anthony, St Louis Gonzaga, and Our Lady of Piedade, arranged in a manner resembling a miniature chapel.
