MONDAY, 24 AUGUST 2026
Ticker

Salgaonkar’s likely Cong entry stirs unease among local party workers

Political circles abuzz for months about his return

MAPUSA


Former minister Jayesh Salgaonkar’s resignation from the BJP may have ended one chapter of his political journey, but speculation over his next political move is already creating unease within the Congress camp in Saligao, with local workers and ticket aspirants wary of the possibility of his entry into the party ahead of the 2027 Assembly elections.

Although there has been no official announcement from either Salgaonkar or the Congress on his joining, political circles have been abuzz for months with speculation that the former Saligao MLA could return to the Congress fold. The discussions had reportedly begun even when Amit Parkar was president of the Goa Pradesh Congress Committee.

Salgaonkar, after quitting the BJP last week, made it clear that he intends to contest the forthcoming Assembly elections, but stopped short of revealing which party he would represent.

“I will definitely contest the elections. From which party will be decided later,” Salgaonkar had said.

While there is no formal confirmation of his Congress entry, the political buzz has only intensified. Salgaonkar is understood to have held meetings with senior Congress leaders, while he has also reportedly been telling close supporters that his entry into the party is more or less settled.



Cong buzz grows

However, on the ground in Saligao, the possibility is not being received with enthusiasm by a section of Congress workers and supporters.

There is palpable apprehension among local leaders and ticket aspirants that the party could once again opt for an outsider or a leader who has moved between political parties instead of backing its grassroots workers.

Saligao Congress Block President Atul Naik said the developments appeared to suggest that history could repeat itself in the constituency.

“In 2022, the ticket was given to saffron import Kedar Naik at the last minute. As loyal workers, we had warned the party that he would join back the BJP and the same thing happened,” Naik said.

He said Congress workers had traditionally followed directions issued by the party leadership, but questioned whether the party could continue to take its grassroots workers and voters for granted.

“We are loyal party workers and will have to follow directions given by the party. But what about the voters? Every time we cannot take people for granted,” he said.


 


Party-hopping

 key concern


The disquiet is particularly significant because Salgaonkar is not a new entrant to electoral politics or to the constituency. He was in Congress but moved to the Goa Forward Party in 2017 and was elected as an MLA. Subsequently he joined the BJP ahead of the 2022 elections but lost to MLA Kedar Naik.

His possible return to Congress, therefore, is being viewed by some local workers not merely as another political realignment but as a continuation of party-hopping in the run-up to elections.

Senior Congress leader and Saligao ticket aspirant Tulio de Souza said Salgaonkar’s resignation from the BJP was an internal matter of that party.

He, however, declined to comment on the possibility of Salgaonkar joining Congress.

De Souza maintained that the Congress had already made its position on defectors clear, pointing out that even senior national leaders, including Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge, had spoken against accommodating defectors.

“Defectors have no place in the Congress party. Salgaonkar has a history of quitting different parties on the eve of elections to claim a ticket,” de Souza said.

Technically, Salgaonkar's present move cannot be termed a defection since he has resigned from the BJP rather than switching parties while holding elected office.

But within the Congress grassroots, the larger concern is about the political pattern – moving from one party to another close to an election and subsequently seeking the party's nomination.


 


Grassroots resistance 

That concern is being voiced not only by ticket aspirants but also by ordinary party supporters.

“Congress workers do not want Salgaonkar. We want a new face in this election,” a staunch Congress supporter said, requesting anonymity.

Local leaders have been cautious about openly confronting the State leadership before Salgaonkar actually joins the party.

Former North Goa Congress District President Virendra Shirodkar, a stakeholder in Saligao constituency also maintained that he had no information about Salgaonkar joining the Congress and declined to speculate.

“Our position will be made clear only if Jayesh Salgaonkar joins Congress. So far we have no information of him joining Congress,” Shirodkar said.

The developments have consequently put the Congress in a politically delicate position in Saligao.

On one hand, Salgaonkar brings electoral experience, name recognition and a previous association with the party. On the other, his possible candidature risks aggravating existing resentment among grassroots workers and aspirants who have remained with the Congress through successive electoral setbacks.


 


 

SHARE ON

Sodiem locals seek FIR against WRD over paddy crop damage

Compensation sought for farmers hit by canal leak

The Goan Network
Published Aug 24, 2026, 12:12 AM IST
SHARE ON
Sodiem locals seek FIR against WRD over paddy crop damage

MAPUSAThe Siolim-Sodiem gram sabha on Sunday resolved to initiate criminal action against the Water Resources Department (WRD) over damage to ready-to-harvest paddy crops allegedly caused by leakage and seepage from the Tillari canal.The gram sabha decided that the panchayat would file an FIR against the department concerned and also write to Tillari canal officials seeking compensation for farmers whose crops were destroyed.Raising the issue, villager Peter D’Souza said the…

READ MORE

Keep Reading — More from GOA NEWS

1 more related stories queued · tap to continue reading

Home HOME News GOA NEWS Global GLOBAL GOENKAR Search SEARCH