TUESDAY, 18 AUGUST 2026
Ticker

Mother of murdered Irish tourist fears killer could walk free after appeal

Hopes Vikat Bhagat’s life sentence is upheld

PANAJI

Almost a decade after Danielle McLaughlin was murdered in Goa, her family is facing another legal battle over the man convicted of killing and raping her, with her mother fearing that a reduced sentence could eventually see him walk free.

Andrea Brannigan, Danielle’s mother, told international media that her only wish ahead of Vikat Bhagat’s appeal against his life sentence is that he remains behind bars for the rest of his life.

“I am worried, but I am hopeful he will not walk free from jail. He should not get a lighter sentence,” Andrea said. The appeal before the High Court of Bombay at Goa is expected to be heard next month.

Danielle, 28, from Buncrana in Ireland, was backpacking in Goa when she was murdered in March 2017. Her battered body was found in a field in Canacona on the morning of March 14.

The District and Sessions Court convicted Bhagat and sentenced him to rigorous life imprisonment in February 2025 for murder, along with a separate life term for rape. He was also sentenced to three years in prison for destroying evidence. The prosecution had sought the death penalty.

“Danielle is talked about all the time, and I still visit the graveyard most days. She would have been 37 years old if she were alive,” Andrea said.

She said she hoped Bhagat’s appeal would be dismissed and expressed concern over other offences he had allegedly committed while in prison. She said these cases had increased her fears about his eventual release.

The family is also awaiting an inquest into Danielle’s death, which Andrea expects to be held in Letterkenny.

She said the inquest was granted because she does not have a death certificate for her daughter.

Danielle’s mother and sister travelled to Goa for the conclusion of the trial last year after an online fundraiser was launched to help cover their travel costs.

SHARE ON

MLA questions ‘hasty’ bid to collect health data of schoolchildren

Raises concerns over the process

The Goan Network
Published Aug 18, 2026, 12:45 AM IST
SHARE ON

MAPUSAAldona MLA Carlos Ferreira has criticised the Education Department and Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan over a circular seeking health data of schoolchildren for creating and validating ABHA IDs, alleging that the exercise is being carried out in haste and without following Union government guidelines.The circular, issued by Goa Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan on August 13, directs schools to submit details including children’s height, weight and haemoglobin levels by August…

READ MORE

Keep Reading — More from GOA NEWS

1 more related stories queued · tap to continue reading

Home HOME News GOA NEWS Global GLOBAL GOENKAR Search SEARCH