A patient had a lucky escape when a fire broke out at the Kasarwarne Primary Health Centre in Pernem on Friday night.
Dr Sanchita Sawal informed the Pernem Fire Station that a lot of smoke was noticed in the hospital and a fire brigade went to the site and extinguished the fire.
A short circuit is believed to have started the fire and sources said a patient was in the room when the short circuit began to take place. The patient was quickly moved out of the room. The damage is estimated at around Rs 25,000.
Pernem Fire Station Assistant Officer Prashant Dhargalkar and his team took part in the operations to extinguish the fire.
Meanwhile, firefighters also extinguished a fire near the Redkar Hospital.